Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Honeymoon in Vegas (1992) - Review

The movie commands great star
power, but fails to capitalize with a
lackluster execution.
Honeymoon in Vegas is a romantic comedy movie starring Nic Cage, Sarah Jessica Parker, and James Caan. Nic Cage plays an everyman private detective, Jack Singer, who is deeply afraid of marriage due to his mother's insistence at her deathbed that he remain unmarried. This upsets his longtime girlfriend, Betsy (Parker), who has waited a significant amount of time for Jack to come around. Under threat of Betsy leaving him, Jack suggests they go to Las Vegas that weekend and get married. Jack's anxiety continues to push the marriage further in the day, only for him and Betsy to be trapped in the plans of a seasoned gambler, Tommy Korman (Caan),  who is determined to take Betsy as his own wife through an underhanded poker scheme.

Honeymoon in Vegas is a fun and snappy movie, but it is a movie that shows its 31 years of age in every sense. Being born a couple years after this movie was made, I am really only aware of how the culture boomed technologically towards the year 2000. I bring this up in order to highlight the reasons why the movie ultimately falls short for me; save for the last maybe 20 years, humanity has never been so connected with each other than they are now. The movie does attempt to address the fact that Jack does have limited ways of tracking Betsy and Tommy across the country as Jack and Betsy's relationship falls apart, especially since Jack is an established and mildly successful private detective, but I ended up having to throw my hands up as he always is one step behind finding the new pair through pure serendipity. At the end of the day, I have to admit that Honeymoon in Vegas is supposed to be viewed with whimsy and aloofness, otherwise I may find myself to be more judgemental than I should. I did find joy looking back at Cage's involvement in this movie with a Vegas setting, most particularly with the international Elvis convention subplot subtly poking its head in at every turn. I say I find this vicarious joy because I know of Cage's long obsession with the King of Rock and Roll, ELvis Presley. This is especially true of when the subplot comes to the fore at the end of the movie as Jack has to join a plane full of Flying Elvises in order to get back to Vegas in time for thwarting Tommy's plan to marry Betsy. Having to don the light-up flight suit seems like a culmination of everything outside of Jack to gain the confidence he needs to show Betsy just how much he does care for her. 

I have to mention the performances in the movie briefly. There is not much for me to say about the performances in the movie, as the characters all seem average to me; even the ever-so-successful professional gambler, Tommy Korman, seems like an average guy toward the end of the movie. Beside the many Elvises sprinkled throughout the movie, the only character actor present is Ben Stein, who portrays a nameless older man whom Jack berates for spending ages to purchase an airline ticket weeks in advance, an older man who is an obstacle for Jack as he tries to pursue Betsy from town to town. 

I remember enjoying this movie when I watched it years ago, as I added it to my collection, and I still do enjoy it. It is a fun romp, but trying to think about the movie critically brings my excitement to recommend this to anyone else down to almost nil. It is a weird point in Cage's filmography, as he is transitioning to more mature roles - as opposed to his many coming-of-age roles of the 1980s. I feel as though he is trying to find the roles that he best inhabits and can bring to life on the big screen, but Honeymoon in Vegas is not something I can recommend to anyone today, 31 years later. It is a product of its time in the most negative sense, and is not a diamond in this rough patch of filmography.

No comments:

Post a Comment