Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Between Worlds (2018) - Review


Between Worlds is a 2018 supernatural thriller that focuses on Joe (Nic Cage), a degenerate, down on his luck trucker, Julie (Franka Potente), a German-born trucker who is taking care of her daughter, Billie (Penelope Mitchell), who almost died after a motorcycle accident. Julie quickly explains to Joe that she has the ability to interact with lost souls while she is in a near-death state - a state that she usually induces by having others choke her. Joe begins to deal with the trauma of losing his wife and daughter years prior with the introduction of Billie and Julie into his life, and must hold onto whatever little of his sanity remains as he and Julie independently realize that something went wrong when she went into her most recent near-death state intended to bring her daughter out of her crash-related coma.

Between Worlds is an odd duck. I was hooked from the beginning sequences of the movie, hopeful the surrealism would combat the overproduced feel. That hook left me when I checked the runtime and only 30 of the 90 minutes and knew that I had a long road ahead of me. It's easy for me, someone who has never worked in film, to sit back and give suggestions that would "make it better", but the slick production betrayed the silly/surreal vibe the creators tried to pull off - I wonder if the movie was made on film and leaned in to the grindhouse by way of Lynch nature, that I would have given it more credit than what I can now. As the product stands now, I cannot recommend that someone, even those who enjoy Nic Cage in his other stereotypical roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment